Thursday, June 26, 2008

Karaoke Crazed

I am so swamped at my real job and interview assignment for my writing class but I just had to share this Sunstar.Cebu news article with ya'll. It is not funny because a life is taken but at the same time, I find humor in it. Filipinos love to sing, regardless that some of us may prefer that they don't.
One case in point: Last night I had to get a quick-fix (been so long without Arnel)so I sneaked in to Youtube to see if I could find some video clips stealthily taken of Journey and Arnel Pineda in Europe. There are a lot, but,ruined by people trying to help him sing. Folks, he's fine, he doesn't need your help.

My 70-year old friend Jane called me the other day and suggested if we could just "kidnap" Arnel. And then what are we going to do with him after we capture him? She said, "We'll just put him in the corner and let him entertain us with his signature smile - he does not even have to sing." Oh Jane.
Anyway, let me stop my bad self. Here's the Sunstar piece.
---------------------------------------------------------
Sunstar.cebu.com
BECAUSE he couldn’t have his way, a man shot and killed his cousin in a Mandaue City videoke bar after the latter kept him from singing Frank Sinatra’s “My Way.”

Not knowing his end was near, Elmer Tantan, 38, reportedly refused to hand over the microphone to his cousin, NiƱo Monroid, SPO1 Reynaldo Inot of the Mandaue City Police Office told Sun.Star Superbalita.

Monroid then allegedly pulled out a .45 and shot Tantan inside the videoke bar in Barangay Omapad past 3 a.m. yesterday.

“Ganahan naman kaayo mokantag ‘My Way’ unya wa gihatag ang mike (microphone), mao tong gipusil (He was raring to sing ‘My Way’ but his cousin wouldn’t hand over the microphone, so he shot him),” SPO1 Inot said.

The slug tore through Tantan’s heart. By the time he was brought to the Mandaue City District Hospital, there was nothing doctors could do but declare him dead on arrival.
---------------------------------------end------------------------------------------

No comments: