Thursday, April 09, 2009

To nurture or to neuter

In Dallas I live a very quiet and simple life. I go to work, I come home, I have lunch with friends on weekends and my usual trips to the library or Barnes and Noble. Simple and efficient ..but very dull. It's void of anticipation of who's going to be knocking on my door asking for financial help because one is in the hospital dying from complications delivering her 9th child or because one's in the hospital because his left eye got infected when he was whacked by a friend because he kept the microphone too long singing the Karaoke.

Then there's Badat, the other day Badat's 2 month old baby died. Badat lives on the other side of our fence, she is Jordan's cousin. They manufacture babies without any thought of the consequences and I have pretty much paid for most of the adults burial expenses there and now this? Chat writes checks without question when I ask her for help because I am overwhelmed by the needs around me here in Cebu. But this time, she told me: "This money I am sending is for them to get neutered, then we don't have to worry about baby funerals."

Yeah, I am over it too, but the sight was gruesome you can't just ignore the need. They laid the baby on the bench all day and all night while the uncle scampered around looking for some wood to build a make do coffin and they were not sure when the baby could be buried because they're waiting for money to pay the priest for the final blessing or the baby could not be buried. The truth of Christ is simpler than the burdens that the priests have yoked us with and yet no one questions that? I did and the truth has set me free.

Chat has learned that if we live our life focusing only on our own needs, it leaves us empty and shallow. She understands what the bible means when it said "it is more blessed to give than to receive." The heart is calmed, the heart is fulfilled when we follow God's principles, but giving without accountability is irresponsible.

So when Chat said the other day: "Mom, next time you take on another project, please don't use the word "we" because I ain't gonna be in it." When Chat starts talking Ebonics, it's not good. So I better agree...but neuter them?

No comments: