Saturday, August 22, 2009

Oxtail Anyone?

Last week when I was catsitting at Chat's house I found a recipe in one of her Malaysian cookbooks. Today I got bored (again) so I made it- tangy oxtail.
Ingredients:
8 shallots -chopped
8 garlic - chopped
6 red chilies, seeded and chopped
1 0z fresh galangal
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp ground turmeric
8-10 pcs oxtail
2 tbsp oil
1 (14 oz) can plum tomatoes- drained
2 stalks lemon grass halved and bruised
handful of kaffir lime leaves 8 oz tamarind juice
2 tbsp sugar
salt to taste
1. Grind the first 4 ingredients to a coarse paste
2. Mix flour and turmeric then dredge the meat to coat and set it aside
3. Heat oil and stir in the spice paste until it smells fragrant, add the meat and brown all sides then add tomatoes, lemon grass, lime leaves and tamarind juice. Add water to cover the meat and let it boil. Skim off any fat and then let it simmer for 2 hours.
4. Stir in the sugar and salt and cook uncovered for the next 30-45 minutes
(Don't omit the sugar because it tempers the tangy-ness but I don't like it when I am able to taste the sweetness, so I should only use 1 teaspoon on mine. )

No comments: