Saturday, February 25, 2012

Community the way it should be

I love being on my farm in the mountain but since I could not afford to build a hut yet, I can't stay long but just a day or two. Yesterday, I watched my caretakers brothers house being built from scratch. The only material he bought is the corrugated roofing and the nails, the rest are from their own trees and coconut lumber. The neighbors came; neighbors from the neighboring mountains and all without pay. This is what I remember my childhood was like; how my father organized the community to help each other.

The women came with their children to help whatever they can, but mostly to cook.







All they had was mung beans and corn grits. Actually I bought 2 kilos of fish that they kept to cook for dinner. And you see the bottle of wine? That's my contribution too. I told them it's for the celebration when the house is completely done tomorrow when I will be gone already.







No comments: