Thursday, June 28, 2012

Here and there

When I feel down, there's nothing I could do to change the mood of the day, except to push through the clouds and wait until I get a breakthrough. But one thing that always shines a light into my dark and gloomy soul is when I hear my boys shouting from the gate: Mama Ritchie! Mama Ritchie!
This boy is new to the group. Same story as witht the rest of them--1 parent is gone and with at least 6 siblings.
The boys showed up yesterday and we had fun going through their trash looking for an expensive find. This piece of scrap iron and aluminum tray will bring in about 3 dollars. How much one makes doesn't matter, because if the other member of the group doesn't have money for food, the one with money has to share his income to feed the rest of the group. When they don't have enough money to buy food, it means it's time to see me.
You see how clean they are here? it's because Katie an American friend just gave them these clothes the day before.
Regardless how much I tell them to stay clean since I'm giving them free water, they, like my cat, loves to roll on the dirt. So their clothes are only clean a good hour, if at that.

No comments: