Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Budget Travel

1. The dorm room at Hangout 2. The Trekker Lodge 3. Hangout Hostel


On my recent trip to Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, I was determined that I would have to go "budget" in order to be able to stay longer and see more places. In addition to my latest copy of the Lonely Planet, I searched the web for different places to consider as my place for lodging. I also read several review sites on several different lodges and hostels. When travelling in the US, I don't even feel comfortable staying at Best Western. So the thought of staying at hostels and budget lodging kind of made we wary. Arriving after midnite to any foreign country is bad enough, but knowing also that Singapore is clean and a safe City State, it helped alleviate my anxiety about the hostel I was about to lodge in. I decided to stay at Hangout at Mt. Emily. Not having stayed at hostels before, I did not know what to expect, or if I expected anything it was for the worst. After the taxi driver dropped me off at the front door, I noticed that the young lady at the front desk had a big smile and acted like she was expecting me, and was really glad to see me. After I signed for my room she handed me the key and showed me the elevator. This is definitely not the Peninsula, I thought. I reserved a "private room with attached bathroom." These are new terms for me, because I always thought that bathrooms comes standard in every hotel room. But this is "hostel" mind you, so I was anxious to see what my room would actually look like. The website implied that even though it says private, the charges are per bed. This hostel, has private rooms and a dorm room. I could not wait to stick my card key in the door to see what lies behind it. And wow, the room was very neat, crispy white linen, a window and the bathroom was clean and the water pressure, like a waterfall. I was told check out time is 10 a.m. another new for me. I had reserved for 3 nights but the second nite I had to be in a dorm room because the private rooms were booked that day. I always made it a rule not to stay at friends' houses while on vacation, now a dorm room? So the second night would be a test of my resolve. But I was determined that this trip was going to be an adventure all the way for me. This is the first time I travelled alone and the first time I am going budget hostels. So I checked out of the private room and moved to a different door but still on the same floor. I walked in and there it was, 4 women scampering around the bathroom and another one still sleeping. None of them acknowledged me except for the one who smiled back at me when I did. The room had 6 beds. I like the set up of the beds but the mess I was not prepared to take. The garbage can in the corner was spilling over, moist towels on the floor and underwears hanging everywhere. I put my backpack on the bed and got out of the room. I had to step back out of the situation in order to think. Something inside me felt at home, but not quiet. I went to the second floor where the computers were. This floor is called the Veg Out floor. There was a billiard table, some bean bags, a big screen tv, a cubicle for reading and a coffee machine that spits out free drinks. I immediately felt at home, coffee and internet...wow. After 2 hours, I went back to the room and all the other ladies have checked out already. I was told I will be the only one left in the room. The maid came to spruce up the room and that made me feel good then. I learned another thing; towels and beddings are not changed everyday, oh well, I laid in the bed and thought " hostelling is not bad after all."

During the 3 days that I was there, I learned my way around on the train, when I can walk to it, I just walked. The first day, I stumbled into a wet market with food stalls next door. But in Singapore, there's hardly any building without a food stall in it, I learned that later. I thought I died and went to heaven. I did not know what to do first, I was like a child in a candy store. In the US or anywhere I go, I always go for the local market or the grocery store, because I want to know what they have that I have not seen or eaten. But true to myself, when faced with a lot of choices I end up not choosing anything. So I end up not eating because I could not make up my mind on what to eat. I wanted all of them. I think I circled the place 3 times only to go away more hungry. I took the train and went to Chinatown and sat down at the first restaurant I saw. The waitress came to take my order and I started to vacillate again, so I pointed to the lemak laksa and waited. I was introduced to this dish in Labuan,Malaysia and it stayed in my mind how a boyfriend stays in your heart. Lemak laksa is a curried soup with coconut cream with toppings of chicken and or seafood. I find this dish on the top of my favorite foods in Singapore and Malaysia. I was told that Katong laksa in Singapore is a good one if not the best. I have decided that on my return trip there, I will be exploring on different laksa and write about it. That is how much I love this dish.

I could have flown to Malaysia from Singapore, but since I was determined to stay on budget, I opted to take the bus to Kuala Lumpur. It would be a 5 and 1/2 hour ride, but I wanted to see the countryside and experience everything in slow motion. The bus fares varies, I learned the hard way. At the Golden Mile complex, there are various travel counters that sells bus tickets. Look around and compare for the best rate. Being my first time, I did not know that there are several bus companies that leaves at different times and at different prices. Don't ask me why.

The ride was very comfortable. I sat next to an Indonesian family who did not speak any English. The lady who I assume was the mother would hand me whatever they were eating and I tried to say no but she won't take it away, so I ate them. It seemed like it was every hour that they would eat something and here she comes again, hand them to me first. I did not know what they were but they were good. On the 3rd time, I pretended to be asleep because I just can't take them anymore.

I arrived Kuala Lumpur feeling pretty upbeat until I saw the neighborhood of the lodge I was supposed to be staying at. It was dirty, garbage strewn everywhere and the buildings were old and looked almost abandoned.

I was freaking out by the time I reached the lodge called Trekker Lodge. I tried to cancel out but I still would have to pay the full amount because I did not have the 72 hour cancellation notice. I tried explaining to Ashman, the clerk that I am not used to hostelling and the place was just not suitable for me. He was very consoling and hospitable that I calmed down. I reserved for 2 nights, but I told him I will be moving out the next day to stay at a a friends house. He agreed not to charge me for the 2nd day. After I have settled down, I noticed that the place was really neat and very homey. There was a tv room and 2 small table to eat at. Four European men and 2 American women were lounging around so I joined them for some small talk. Ashman said that this is like a "homestay", but I won't know because again, this was my first time. The next morning around 6am, I went to the computer to do my email. Sebastian, the clerk for the night was asleep on the couch. He got up and made coffee and tea and put out some bread in the kitchen. That really made me feel at home and I began to feel fondness for the place. As I was leaving, I knew in my heart that hostelling will be it for me from now on.

No comments: