Friday, January 12, 2007

Bloom where you are planted

After 6 months of vagabonding, I am back at my desk at work. Again. I have been at this company since 1987 and I stopped counting (so has my co-workers) how many times I have told my boss " I quit". I remembered the 4th time the new manager wanted to give me a going away party, (she did not know I have quit 3x before already) one of my co-workers said, "Again?" I was not sure if she was disgusted or was excited. I came back to a new boss who is still my present boss and quit several more times after that. This last time, I did not quit but told my boss "I am leaving but don't know when I will be back, so don't wait for me." I don't know how I got so blessed with this boss, but she told me " you go and finish your menopause lunacy and when your plane lands back at DFW, get your butt back on your desk." The lunacy lasted 6 months, I mean no, the lunacy is still here, but I have to get back to work. ( if I want to eat) I surmise that I must not be that important for a job to wait 6 months without me or maybe I am just underpaid for this position that no one wants it anyway. I may be underpaid but where can I find a boss who will let me sit in her couch while she acts as my psychiatrist? And sends me off on a 6 months leave so she can be rid of me so she can do her real job.
I was glad to see my co-workers again. Work makes me feel grounded and a sense of direction.
I miss my co-workers and they all seem to be real glad to see me, although the big boss (the owner) happened by my desk and took a second glance at me and said " Oh, I thought you were a myth". The rate you pay me is a myth. I did not say that, even though he pays me like I am 12 years old.

I have resolved to make myself listen more and care more for other people. To be more accepting and tolerant, yet at the same time stand for what I believe in without compromise. The people I work with have their own unique stories to tell, I want to absorb that and use that to make this year better and richer, not with money but with relationships. Deeper relationships. I miss Cebu and the people there that have become a big part in my life, but for now, I will try to bloom where I am planted. I can't promise that I will be a perennial, but I will try.

No comments: