Saturday, May 10, 2008

Arnel Anonymous

Feeling of jumpiness or nervousness
Feeling of shakiness
Anxiety
Irritability or easily excited
Emotional volatility, rapid emotional changes
Depression
Fatigue
Difficulty with thinking clearly
Bad dreams

According to Alcoholics Anonymous the above symptoms are what an alcoholic experiences when trying to quit the booze. And the exact same symptoms are what one experiences when an AP addict tries to get freed from anything Arnel Pineda. Like logging into AP forums 9 times a day, incessant talking about AP, giddily watching his videos while humming along with him because really, that’s all you can do – hum. (Or risk looking stupid like Syasya Padilla and Martin Nievera).
Then there’s the constant replaying in your mind of how cute he puts his hands together when he tries to clap not to mention the mooneyes when he strive to reach a higher note. And of course, his quintessential smile that dances in your head and if you’re not careful, will get you committed to the mental ward at the county hospital without your consent.

I have no shame when it comes to Arnel; I talk about him regardless what setting I am in. I was at a friend’s birthday party the other day. I gave the prerequisite hugs and wishes and “how’s the husband and kids” routine. And listened to some sob stories even though I could care less that one guest's husband was hauled off to jail for beating a co-worker because the co-worker said he was voting for Osama- when actually he meant Obama.

My friends know that my genes are not predisposed to addiction of any kind but they are painfully aware that I am always looking for the next high. And the "high" at the moment is Arnel Pineda. They also can't deny the fact that the only man I talk about with a passion and dedication is Jesus Christ, so when I started ranting about Arnel, they know I must be on to something.

I had not seen this group of white friends for quite some time, so this was the first time they heard me talk about AP. I gave them the abridged version of the Neal Schon episode then gave them the link so when they get home they could fire up their computer. We finished the cake, hugged some more then I got in my car and headed to lala land again. I mean home.

Two hours later, my phone rang and it was the birthday girl. “Ritchie, I just watched the video of that Filipino guy Arnel.” And? “I just want to scoop him up and plant him in my lap.” She said it like it’s a matter of entitlement. I was bent over laughing and I said “ Betty, how old are you today?” "Seventy-six” she said.
And I thought I was the only one who’s got no shame. After we hung up, I had that smile on my face like -See? I told you he is addicting. But then again, she may not live long enough to get hooked.

No comments: