Thursday, May 22, 2008

What's Up With People

When I am not wandering aimlessly here or abroad, I really do have a life. And I do important things like watching an important show - ala Broadway. Last Saturday I was invited by my friend Billy to watch "Up With People" present a multi-cultural expression of what the world looks like when it is united.

Up With People is a global education program for young adults ages 18 to 29. Founded 43 years ago, it was conceived and driven by the old adage we famously hear all the time - "The youth is the hope of tomorrow". The program makes classroom theories about global perspectives, leadership and inter-cultural communication come alive through hands-on application.

Although a person regardless of age if equipped with the right skills and attitude can make a difference locally and globally, I feel that the young can dance and tickle a keyboard without having to worry about an arthritic limb. And that is just what we were treated to...nimble performers with energy not generated by Starbucks.
As we entered the door, young men and women were lined up to direct the guests and taking our tickets was a young man with a smile as big as Texas -"Bienvenuto," he said as he gripped my hand. Not sure how to respond I stammered "uhh, whatever" and he smiled even bigger.
The students were from all over the world and they sang and danced dressed in the costume of the country they represent. The stage was bursting with energy and color not to mention the student's enthusiastic anticipation of the next country they were about to fly to. Natalya from Uzbekistan, one of the 2 students that Billy hosted came to chat with us. She told us she was one of the 25 who was picked to live with the village people in Thailand for a week. She made it sound like, "Woo-hoo, I won the Texas lotto!" I wondered if she knew what she was getting into. But really, if this group doesn't do anything else but make this trip to Thailand their life will never be the same. The program is far-reaching and has a rippling effect not only on the student's life but to everyone involved; the local community that they would be descending upon and the host families who opened their hearts and homes and rearranged not only their furnitures but also their schedules. Then there's people like me who just sat and watched...for free.
I was particularly awed by this girl who came out dressed like a Spanish senorita. She was led by another girl to the front of the stage. You can tell she was handicapped, until she let that vocal chord explode. Mezzo Soprano? She was the female version of Arnel Pineda ( my new source of infatuation). Her name is Jessica Rojas. After her performance she was led back out of the stage and I silently wondered what else could a blind girl do for the organization. In my limited world and selfish tendency I bordered on thinking that she might be more of a liability than an asset to the organization. Until Billy told me that she not only could sing, she is also a travelling staff member. You see what I mean when I say that this UWP program is far reaching? After watching Jessica what's my excuse for not doing anything? As of this writing Jessica still haunts me. And I mean that in the most positive way.

No comments: