Sunday, February 08, 2009

Looking back 2006

October 2006. Jordan preparing our top of the line grill. Should have taken a picture of the mackerel after it was grilled.Desmond, the clerk at the Hangout at Mt.Emily, the hostel I was staying in Singapore - my first stop for my introduction to backpacking. We went to eat where the locals eat then we went to his temple and he gave me a quick overview of Buddhism.

Semi-backpacking to Malaysia, 5 hour bus ride. Armed with my Lonely Planet, I was really excited because after all, Hangout might not be The Raffles but might as well be for backpackers.
Until I got to this hostel. I was so terrified because of how the neigborhood looked like. I could have stayed at the Hyatt next door but I stayed one night because I was determined to be a backpacker. Then I called my Chinese friend who told me he won't even stay there himself.

I was terrified with that hostel in Malaysia but a month later I went to Costa Rica and braved this hostel. Hallway to the rooms. Spooky or artsy?

I still fantasize about backpacking for real before I die. People ask me why I want to backpack when I am not an adventurous person. I don't have an answer. One thing I can say is that I have met interesting people and heard interesting stories from people from different countries in that short adventure.This is Cristina from Murcia,Spain. We hang out in Costa Rica after her one month stint at Curu. Curu gave her free lodging for taking care of the monkeys. She was there one month then went home to Spain. She emailed me 3 months ago, she was back at Curu again. She missed the monkeys, she said.






No comments: