Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Dengue Fever?

I am looking out to a nice wooded area and a creek runs through it. Huge homes interspersed in between those trees because this is where most of the rich Jews live here in Dallas. With my blood shot eyes and swollen face that's the view I am seeing now from my hospital room.

I was rushed to the hospital 3 days ago because over the weekend the body aches that was bothering me since I got back from the Philippines finally morphed into a whole body rash and bone breaking fever. The doctor at the urgent care clinic was frantic to send me to the ER because my blood platelet count was low and there was blood in my urine. He thought I must have gotten some parasites from Malaysia.

The doctor is leaning towards dengue fever but until the test comes back positive we're just going by my symptoms. Here are the early symptoms:

1. chills
2. low grade fever/sometimes high
3. body aches

The first week, all the above happened intermittently then I feel good the rest of the day but tiredness was dominant. Watch for the day that you won't have this symptom, because the day after you will get it really bad and that begins your real misery. Bone breaking fever, rashes all over your body, nothing is spared because even my eyeballs are blood shot, then my extremities are swollen. My eyelids are swollen way above my face. This won't be the time to enter any beauty contest my doctor said. And don't forget the vomitting and diarrhea.
There's no cure for dengue, you just have to let it run through the course - that is if you come out alive from the symptoms. (at least that's how I feel)

I know the cost of this hospital stay would pay for a whole years stay at the Four Seasons or Bangkok Oriental. And Chat thinks that I got this because I was "roughing it in Asia", John thinks I got it just because I was in Asia. He told Chat to stop letting me go to Asia...how rude.
"Why doesn't she go to Europe, why does she keep going to Asia?" "Maybe because she's from there?" Chat told John. So now Chat tells me not to go back to Asia. "At least in Europe, you may come back with a French lover, not a stupid dengue fever."
Well, with this hospital bill - I won't be going anywhere but to work.

No comments: