Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Steamed Rice Cake (Puto)

Remembering my mom's rice cake (puto) I got obsessed on how to make it. Luckily, I have this blender that pulverizes anything in less than 1 minute. Soak rice overnite in equal parts water then grind with about half of the remaining water drained out. Set it aside. I left this all day while I was at work then went to dinner with Chat and when I got home it looked like this. For 1 cup of rice I use 1 tsp of baking powder, 1/2 c of coconut milk and 1/8 c of sugar. I mix them all together and fill the molds. I don't have a big steamer so I used tea cups and 1 ensaymada mold lined with banana leaves. I buttered the molds.Note: I thinned out the coconut milk with equal parts water because I used the canned one. Also, use sugar accordingly. I don't like it sweet. Maybe later if I'm going to make this again, I will try using some coloring, but I prefer food in it's simplest. Here it is:
Source: Market Manila, Pinoyrecipe.net, babeinthecitykl.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Lory said...

Hi Ritchie,
I have a question: How much rice and water during the soaking period?

Is that 1 cup of rice with coconut milk and sugar AFTER the rice has been ground and let sit for several hours, or the 1 cup rice prior to soaking?

Thanks for the method! I might make a big bilao-like size.