Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Unfriend or Hide

It used to be that when you meet new people you ask them questions like: do you live around here? And what do you do? (or if you're Filipino - how much is your salary?) But really, why ask when you get answers like, "Just google me." With all these technology and networking sites in our hand, we have isolated ourselves more than ever. Yes, we are more connected yet very disconnected from the very thing that humans really need; the physical and emotional connection.

The other day at a dinner party, (I hate socials, so don't ask why I was even there) I was trying to make small talk, ( because that's what you do at socials ) and I caught myself asking whoever I was talking to, "Are you on Facebook?" I don't know why I asked that, maybe to sound like I'm hip at networking? I like Facebook because I want to know what's happening in people's lives, not that I really care, but simply because I am nosy. But lately, I'm frustrated when I open my FB because I end up having to scroll way down before I can get to relevant or important (if there's such a thing as "relevant" or "important" on Facebook) status of friends because of all the annoying games and horoscope that people are publishing as their status.

Yesterday, I took the time to really learn Facebook and see how I can get rid of these annoying statuses or cancel my account altogether. Unfriend or Hide them, Chat said. Good idea. And this morning when I walked in to work, a co-worker was in a bad mood, whining about " No one wants to plow my farm." I said, "You bum coffee from me all the time and you have a farm?" "No, Farmville on Facebook. And I can't get anyone to help me with harvest either."

As if my Facebook problem is not enough already, now this. I don't know what Farmville is or any of that , all I know is that it's annoying the crap out of me. So how do I hide my co-worker? I can't, but I can hide my coffee.

No comments: