Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I miss my old bank

I have been a Bank of America customer for over 20 years and I can only count one bad experience with them. It was one of those occasions when I had to get cash that is abnormally high than my regular withdrawals because I was going out of the country. The Vietnamese teller at (the Plano/75) location, asked me questions; it was not the question itself, in fact I was glad of the prodding for the security and protection of my account, but rather, it was the tone of her voice that irked me. More disturbing was not only that she raised her voice, her eyes were spitting fire at me, the customer.

I still remember that incident, but over all, Bank of America has been a good bank for me. Until the bailout. The other day, I received a wire transfer from overseas and the bank charged me 12 dollars. I called to see if they would waive the fee, because I don't think that I should be penalized because someone put money in my account. I asked the rep what is the difference between a direct deposit and a wire transfer - she didn't answer my question. Instead, she talked down to me with that razor sharp tone of voice: "Ma'am, did you receive the money?" I said yes. "Well, If you received the money, then the charge is justified."

The bank bailout was a band-aid. I've always felt that those who needs to fail should fail, because if the consumer was spared from the front end, the consumer will have to pay in the end. And so here we are, normally, Bank of America would have readily waived that fee but not anymore. The 12 dollar charge was bad enough without the customer service rep acting like I'm an idiot under her mercy. So I replied to her politely, "Well, that's ok, this is the reason why my company is working hard to outsource Bank of America's customer service to the Philippines and even India for that matter, so when you lose your job, it is justified." Click.

(Now I pray that she didn't empty my bank account, charging me for talking back at her.)

No comments: