Friday, November 06, 2009

New Trick, Old dog

My favorite time of the day is early morning, right when the dawn is breaking and the sun is slowly lifting up from wherever it came from. The bursting out of the sun rays makes me feel alive, almost the same way how my energy and moods dip as the sun goes down.

I normally wake up around 5 a.m, and I stagger straight to the kitchen and make coffee because I love the ritual of making coffee. Then I would take 2-3 sips because I really don't drink a whole cup, (I never have) and try to put in a 2o minute brisk walk, then sit down to read my bible for 20 minutes, meditate on it and hurriedly drive to work. This week, things have changed.

I now have a new job working from home, but because this is my first week, I have not gotten my routine down yet. It seems like I work all day and night but has not accomplished anything.
(Like how stay at home moms feel) There was a time when I thrived on deadlines, doing 99 things all at the same time, but now, I hardly could concentrate on one simple task. I feel unhinged when I have to answer a call while another one is holding , much like the saying- I can't chew bubble gum and walk at the same time.

So after working at my previous job for 20 years, doing the same thing and using the same software application, I am overwhelmed with this new technology process and new business lingo. (But at least I love my boss.) They gave me a Predictive Index test, to see who I am in order to maximize my potential and not waste my God given skills and talents. The test was very simple, yet almost pinpoint specific. Bob, the guy who administered the test whom I have met 3 times already was surprised of one of the results: "If people would ask me, is Ritchie outgoing? I would immediately say, of course, she is. She is very engaging and outgoing. But your test shows that you are introverted and private. Is that true?" He asked me in that tone like he was hoping to be right with his earlier assumption. I burst out laughing because from the beginning, as he was telling me the result, I could not believe that the test can actually pinpoint me to the T.

That's correct. I am introverted. This is why I've always said that my perfect job would be sitting alone, hiding behind my computer, writing tacky articles for a tacky magazine using a tacky pseudonym. Well, maybe not the tacky part, but you know what I mean?

No comments: