Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Guilt

" When you give a reception, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind and you will be blessed, since they do not have the means to repay you; for your repayment will be repaid at the resurrection of the just." What Jesus told the host who invited Him. (Luke 14:13-14)


So what is it, guilt or sheer generosity? I took a friend to the UPS store the other day to mail her Christmas gifts. The box contained a big wrapped gift and some loose items like cans and jars of food and some electronic gadgets. When we left there, we went to the mall then to Walmart and she bought some more items. I didn't buy anything, I was simply the driver because she can't drive. She asked if I was done with my shopping,"I don't do Christmas, I hate Christmas." I said.
"Really? You don't do anything?" she was surprised. I didn't want to advertise and really I don't owe her any explanation but I said: "My daugher and I takes care of less priviledged kids in the Philippines all year long and at Christmas we make sure they eat good that one day."
Then she started telling me how she hates Christmas too. So what's all that box of gifts and the expensive shipping? "Well, we didn't want to do Christmas especially because of the economy, but my brother and his family gave us gifts and our friends gave us gifts even when we told them we can't afford Christmas this year, so we have to give in return." I laughed in pity of her.

You see, I can't let people put me in that holiday prison. If they want to give, let them give. But don't feel bad if you don't get anything in return. That's what Christmas is all about and that's how you will find out if those people are sincere givers. If they don't get anything from you and they continue to give Christmas after Christmas, that's the kind of friends you want to keep.

No comments: