Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Wine, coffee or cigarette

When I was young, you know, like 79 years ago, I wanted to look cool. (Not that I have quit wanting to look cool) I thought holding a cigarette between your index and middle finger raised up, while the other hand is holding a cup of coffee or wine is just the coolest thing. I tried cigarette, I tried coffee, I tried wine but my palette or my psyche could only accept coffee. All three are not supposed to be good for you, but the medical community says, the last two can be taken in moderation but cigarette should not be taken in any form. Meaning, you can't even hold hands or kiss someone who smells like a camel. With out without filters.

I don't know why coffee is considered not good for you when it's in the same category as taking a shower - it helps you wake up. The jury is still out on the wine, as to its effectiveness on reducing bad cholesterol, because the wine producers still haven't figured out who's the right congressman to put on their payroll as a lobbyist. I'm not sure why doctors are quick to slap you with statins instead of wine for your cholesterol. You'd think that they'd prefer and endorse wine, considering that most doctors I know are wine enthusiast. They're wine experts since med school.

I should really not talk about wine like I know what I'm talking about. In fact, I should be talking about dementia, because I started to write about my writers group and next thing I know, I'm scribbling wine, coffee and cigarette. Oh, I think I just remember why I'm writing about wine. Yesterday, I met with 2 of my writer friends and we were drinking wine starting at 11 a.m. We were raising our glasses four or five times, saying Salute' and bursting into laughter, acting like the Enron whistleblowers after Jeff Skilling and Ken Lay were indicted. We said we'd live in Tuscany or Provence and start drinking wine earlier than 11 a.m., after the film rights to our books are bought by Hollywood, then we burst into laughter again. That was yesterday when the wine was flowing from Teri's wine cellar, right now, I'm thinking: Lord, I'd live anywhere, just not under the bridge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm that's amazing but frankly i have a hard time figuring it... wonder how others think about this..