Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Just ranting...

H.L. Mencken said that there's no more depressing thing in life than watching your neighbor get rich. Well, I don't know of any neighbor getting rich, I don't even have friends who's rich --unless getting approved for welfare counts as getting rich.

Now I can tell you what depresses me: Watching everything go up--like, my rent. Followed by my blood pressure. Yesterday, I went to lunch with one of my friends and after we ate,we went walking around the Asian market. We browsed and gushed over the rising costs of food. "Oh my God, the price of canned squid and the dried sardines have increased a lot." We said it almost at the same time. Then she continued in her high pitch voice, "We need a new president." (My friends' high pitch voice is annoying but what's more annoying is when she says something like this.) I wanted to tell her that she can't complain because she didn't vote, but all I said was, "Before long, we're going to have to eat manna." My friend doesn't read the bible so she has no idea what "manna" is. I don't either. All I know is that it's what God fed the Israelites in the wilderness of Sinai, way back when, after God found out squid is not good for you,--even if it's fresh and not canned.

Another thing that depresses me is when I can't remember the other things that depresses me. And I know there's a lot because I never get out of depression. Oh, now I remember, my rent.

No comments: