Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Future....(fill in the blank)

Meet the future authors. That's what I'd want them to be, but I don't know what the future holds for these kids. It was not out of the goodness of my heart that I started teaching them, but I miss my writing group in Dallas and it's so expensive to buy books here in Cebu. So I thought I'd invest in notebooks and pens and beat these kids into submission and make them writers.
These kids come with their own unique story: One of them has a mother who is very sick but when she is able to get up, she drinks herself to death and the girl on the front right would have to pull her out of the ditch or from along the road and drag her home. She doesn't know who or where her father is. The oldest in the group doesn't know her mother or father because her mother left her at the place where she worked and told her co-worker, the woman who now takes care of this girl that she can have her. The mother has 4 kids and all have been given away. Except for one, all of them are not living with their parents.

And after only 3 meetings, they've all encouraged me with their progress. They're all stepping up to the plate and coming up with interesting thoughts and ideas. One of them even produced a short but interesting narrative. And the youngest one who is 9 years old wrote a dialogue and when I asked her how she came up with it, she said it's what she created in her mind. Ladies and gentlemen, meet the future Pulitzer awardee.

No comments: