Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Lunch for my vagabond friends

Yesterday was the Christmas lunch for my rugby team. (rugby-sniffing street kids) We're boiling water to make spaghetti and because we had 4 kilos to make, I thought I'd save money on electricity and do it outside. Looks like I need basic training in building a fire. Santino, Jordan and Jack. Preparing the spaghetti, filipino version. We held it in my backyard.

I had them tell their story of why they're on the street and what their plans are in life. They tell of what they want to become, but no plan on how to achieve it. For now, their main goal is to get more money so they can have an "exchange gift."
This boy Alex, said that his parents moved "to the north" without telling him so his friend's mother took him in and they're both now on the street. My patience was tested after they were pumped with sugar from the cake and the candies, but the highlight was when they started telling me that the spaghetti wasn't tasty. "Put more ketchup" at least 2 of the boys said it in unison, "we don't really like it." What do you mean you don't like it? Well, at least they were honest. I told them it's my first time to make the flip version and thanks to them, I will now know how to make it next time.

No comments: