Thursday, October 03, 2013

I had a conversation with an acquaintance the other day and it went like this.

Him: Hey, I'm curious. I heard that an 18 year old Filipino girl doesn't have a problem marrying a 70 year old American man.

Me:  Correct. In fact, I know a few.
Him: Why is that?
Me :  Because we like white people and green bucks.
Him: And the girl doesn't feel awkward with that arrangement?
Me : No, because she's practical and she's used to it. That's almost the norm back in the Philippines; young girls being kept by old, rich Chinese businessmen or old, corrupt politician.
Him: Really? So how did you get here?
Me: When you see a Filipino woman, most likely she got here because she's a nurse or as a mail-order wife. I am not a nurse.
Him: Wow, maybe I can go there and get me my 18 year old. (chuckle)
Me: Well, if you're not on the FBI's child molester list, you just might be able to.

This is my observation and experience, so if a Filipino reading this is offended or disagree with me, I'd say you must have lived away from that country and sheltered enough to be oblivious to the shimmering reality.

No comments: