Saturday, August 09, 2008

Me? Starstruck?



Chat, having grown up here in America is very Americanized in her approach to life, but thankfully she still knows to pay for mama's lunch and still prefers Asian foods. Today, we went to eat at a Vietnamese restaurant. She prayed over our food, then she said, "Mom, I really prayed hard for you today." Oh, thank you. (Don prayed over everything and he taught Chat to do the same.)
"No mom, I read your blog yesterday. What were you doing looking at Arnel shirtless? How far are you going with this mania? Are you just starstruck or what?" I had to remind her of my disclaimer on my very first blog of AP. Nothing and no one makes me go crazy; no athletes or celebrities. And how soon did she forget?

Several years back before she got married, she dated a basketball player in Dallas, a very famous MVP. (All I will say is he's white.) Believe me the guy was wonderful and decent but Don and I prayed hard that God would get her out of that world. The world of fame and fortune is not for everyone. It can be daunting and oppressive. Chat would know what to do with the money but the media? They'd have to ask her the right question or she'd whack them in a heartbeat. (But not with her bag or shoes but with a broom.)
Because he's a famous athlete he introduced Chat to his world and she ended up meeting and befriending other famous athletes. They had a friend from the NFL who didn't fit our front door, he had to come in sideways. Not really but you know what I mean? Huge felon. Chat was horrified when I called them National Felons League. Well, look at the papers, every week one of them is herded to prison. Basketball is fine but still. One time I told Chat to leave the MVP in the car when they came to church because some church people started losing their religion -"So, how about a free ticket?" I never asked for a free ticket but one day Chat came home with 2 VIP tickets from the team owner - with a note "for mama alter". I was impressed with the private elevator but Starstruck? No.
My ex, NJ, is American but lives in Malaysia because his business interests keeps him there. He comes to the Masters Golf Tournament every year because he is best buddy with another Masters champion. (Not Tiger.) He rents a house for the Masters week and entertains friends and golf people. Last year when NJ took me there, I was hobnobbing with the who's who in golf. I did not write or talk about them. I don't do that. I won't do that. My own golf instructor is a personal friend and coach of last year's Masters Champion. Starstruck? No.

This feeling I have for Arnel is more than that. These feelings I have for Journey and Ross are more than that. Starstruck is like you're stunned then you recover and remember your name again. Mine is like, I go to bed obsessed and I wake up still obsessed. Then I barely remember how to spell my name. And when I do it comes out like this: Ross Arnel.

At least I still remember my initials. How far am I going with this mania? Don't know. Marya said: Why quit? We're in a happy place.

No comments: