Sunday, January 04, 2009

The bottom Line

With the global economy steadily shaking our collective boots, most everyone is worried about their bottom line. While some of us simply worries about our bottoms. The start of a new year seems to bring out in people this energy that prods: I have to do something. Some wants to start exercising to better their present relationship, others starts exercising so they can dump the present relationship. Me, I'm simply exercising my back and be a couch potato.

This year I am feeling radical so I cancelled my gym membership, (I only go there to use the steam room anyway) and my Massage Envy membership. And it felt good to be released from a contract that I started to consider cancelling my cell phone service too. But as I started imagining the liberating and exhilarating feeling of not having a monthly bill, I realized that it's not really the bill that bothered me. It's the fact that I have signed my name to an agreement that says I have to keep my end of the bargain for a duration of time. OR....

Contracts bothers me. It makes me feel suffocated, obligated and imprisoned that when another energy company offered me 2cents less per kwh if I sign up with them for a year, I refused. Yes, I'm crazy for refusing the savings, but I told myself I can make up for the lost savings if I just cut down on lemon pepper wings at Wingstop. Like, cut down to 4 times a week instead of 5?

But don't get me wrong, there's one contract that doesn't bother me and would gladly sign - the kind where it says, "the two becomes one, for richer or for poorer" (and hopefully not the latter) but only if he signs on the dotted line that he will now be paying all my bills.

No comments: