Friday, July 10, 2009

Ephesus Restaurant

Chat took me to a late lunch today to this Turkish restaurant called Ephesus. Chat doesn't eat fish except sushi but she wanted me to try this salt encrusted fish flambe'. We walked in the door and the owner/chef said to Chat "Your fish is now in the oven." I said, "What if we didn't show up?" "He knows I was on our way here,because I called him," she said. We had for appetizer this baked feta with sun dried tomatoes(which I really love) for dipping and a plate of hummus.

Then 10 minutes later, out came the fish.

Dvrim, the owner/chef chiseling the salt from the fish. I made sure to focus on him and not on the fish.

Under the sea salt that was about 10 lbs (seems like it), is the red snapper.
We topped off lunch with Turkish coffee cream brulee' for Chat and a Turkish coffee for me. I was raving over the Turkish coffee so much that Dvrim brought out the pot and the coffee can (Mehmet Efendi) and showed me where I can buy them and make them myself at home. Can you believe that? He is just so cute with that accent and gentle demeanor I wanted to take him home. When Chat paid the bill, I said "that fish was so expensive," Chat said, "Mom, I didn't buy you the fish, I was buying you experience." Good enough for me.
In case you want to learn how to make Turkish coffee at home, (I know I am)watch this.

No comments: