Friday, January 14, 2011

What's New?

When my girlfriends come to me with their giggly selves talking about a new relationship, I pretty much expect that they're intoxicated. They don't want input, they just want to pour out and I can't get a word in anyway because they're either stone in love and can't discern Monday from Friday, or they're simply stoned and can't see what I see. Their words will start with, "Ohh my!" and it goes insane from there.
"Oh my, he's not good, he's the best. He's not just sensitive, he's the most generous man I've ever met." And telling them to shut up would be like telling romance writers to use less superlatives.

Ok, so I'm cynical, but not really. I'm calling it as it is. You see this often with celebrities where they would announce to the whole world, how in love they are and how marvelous this new person is. Then you count the days or you can be generous and give them a year before they announce to the world again, that they're now dating other people. And the same insane cycle starts again. And this same thing happens to my friends too, except that they're not celebrities, so they can only announce it to me. And I don't tread lightly, I tell them: "Cut the crap and the superlatives, but after 2 years let's revisit your vocabulary. I will bet you my neighbors welfare check that the superlatives will become expletives." With this counsel, they'll roll their glassy eyes, shake their love-drunk head and mumble under their breath...Ooh Ritchie I pity you.

I'm not against finding your Umami,I'm not against falling in love and throwing caution to the wind, but just so you know the difference between "love" and "commitment" because the difference between the two is like heaven and hell. And except for a new loan, we're easily excited about anything new. A new man especially, regardless that we don't know how to operate them.

No comments: