Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I can quit anytime

I don't have addictive tendencies (I don't think) but with Facebook, I've gotten so caught up in it. At first, I was using it simply to observe my friends---people watch in stalking mode, you know. Then one morning, I woke up going straight to it even before I could make coffee, posting comments and pictures. This continued the next morning, and the next morning and afternoon and the next morning, afternoon and way into the  night.  It's like getting involved with a man you know you should not be seeing anymore because he's taking up  your time and he's married, but you tell yourself: I can quit anytime. I just don't want to do it today. Then you find that you now have become dependent on  him for your joy. Much like Facebook.

With Facebook, we are sort of a celebrity: "Wow, you have 897 friends?" We're like Charlie Chaplin characters in reverse; we have voices through our "posts" but no one sees us. Only difference with us and real celebrities is  we don't kill ourselves when only 3 of the 897 friends "comments" or "like" our written outburts. We simply deactivate our account, hoping  someone would kill themselves of guilt for  not recognizing or validating us anymore.
Well, today, for the 327th time I have deactivated my account.  Curious why..... again? Well, do I need a reason? See if you believe this: Facebook has taken all my time, that blogging here has become second--- and it should not be that way. So there. 

No comments: