Wednesday, December 19, 2012

When I was young and stupid, I was young and stupid, but stealing and or cheating was never my default setting. So how come this new generation sees nothing wrong about deception?

The gym I go to has a daily rate of $7.50 and this is my preferred way to go, considering that I'm never consistent with anything. But this week they have a promotional offer of 100 dollars for 3 months, with a restriction that you can use the facility everyday but only in the morning. No problem, I am a morning person. So this morning I showed up with my 4000 pesos in cash. In cash, because I was told they don't take credit or debit cards. In America, this would be a simple transaction; you pay, you get a receipt. But not here in Cebu. The lady who took my money told me in a hushed tone that I can use the facility for more than 3 months. Oh yeah? "Yes, but I can't give you a receipt, but don't worry because I am always the receptionist in the morning."

Some people may have liked this idea of a bargain, but not me. "What if you get hit by a jeepney tomorrow and you die and I show up here and whoever replaces you, asks for proof of membership from me, what then?" "No, that won't happen." What won't happen, you dying or another receptionist asking me for proof?

I should be happy for being offered a bargain, but is that really something I can live with? Of course not. I insisted for a receipt and it took over an hour for her to produce it. As the tourism promoters of the Philippines like to say: It's more fun in the Philippines. That's because in the Philippines, everything is for sale; kidney, lungs and or your soul.

No comments: