Friday, December 21, 2012

December is the only time of the year where people explain their finances to other people: This year we're not doing anything for Christmas, Because.......(fill in the blanks) And the only time of the year when people apologize---for giving at all. "I wanted to buy you that cashmere sweater, but my budget can only afford this cheese log from the dollar store, which I hope you'll eat by new year's eve."

But why? Anytime of the year we don't tell our co-workers or friends that we're denying ourselves and have been eating canned pork and beans  3x a day or that we have been visiting the church food pantry more times than the weekly church service. Why? it's the pressure of the season. It's the pressure to act happy and jolly. And generous. I say rubbish. Go hang yourself and leave me alone.

In the US, when someone greets me and say "Merry Christmas" (at least back when saying Christmas didn't get you in trouble.) they mean just that....have a Merry Christmas.  But here in the Philippines, when someone greets me the joy of Christmas, it's always followed by: What's my gift?
And since this is my second Christmas in a row here in the Philippines, I've learned what to say when someone asks, 'what's my gift.' I'd say : "Same as last year." "But you didn't give any last year." Then that's what I mean....nada.


No comments: