Sunday, November 04, 2012

I love simple foods. By that, I mean foods simply cooked without so much preparation and so much ingredients that I'd have to wonder and ask if I'm eating chicken, fish or beef. This is because I grew up with a mother who cooked our food only 2 ways: if it's vegetables, she boiled it, if it's chicken, she boiled it with vegetables. Beef or pork? We hardly had them unless someone got married or died.

So when I see this over inflated, overly celebrated cooks, I don't know how to take them. Unless. It's Anthony Bourdain. Not so much because he can cook, because really, anybody can cook because as far as I'm concerned, the principle of cooking is very simple: If it's to be eaten raw, then you don't have to cook it. If it's supposed to pass through the fire, then build a fire and make sure it's dead before you swallow it. I love the culinary bad boy Tony because let's admit it, the man is not bad on the eyes and..... he can write.

Another thing that doesn't sit well on my palate is the highly exalted, much feared food critics. Seriously. (Just because they write for the New York Times or Huffington Post.)  But then again, that's just how I roll. Yeah, yeah, I go from one extreme to the next. Here's another bad boy I like. Is he an artist cook? or a cook artist.

No comments: