Monday, December 01, 2008

Convenient Inconvenience

How little it takes to make life unbearable: a pebble in the shoe, a cockroach in the spaghetti, a woman's laugh. - H.L. Mencken


Sitting at my desk at work yesterday, I asked myself: Is this what I want to do for the rest of my life? Four years ago, a friend of mine who is a physician told me why she divorced her husband, "No adult should make less than 15 dollars an hour, he won't look for another job, so he's got to go." Yes, I have shallow friends. And yes, what she said struck a cord with me because 4 years ago when she said it I was already an adult and making less than 11. I asked her, "Well, can I be excused because I'm a woman?" She said "no." We're still friends though.


So today, I remembered her subtle rebuke and am reminded that unless I convert my pay to pesos, it does not make anyone feel good. Unless you're 12 and this is your first job. But God in His providence has protected my money and stretched it when necessary, reason why I am able to do what I do without being financed by plastics.

But because I am struggling with the worse jet lag I have ever experienced, It's very hard to see the positive in my life right now. I have laid awake for the last 4 hours, praying, tossing and turning. And eating at 3 a.m. and now blogging when I should be preparing to go to my un-adult paying job. I realize there's so much to be thankful for like- this laptop still works while my desktop has crashed, I complain about eating at 3a.m, but at least I have food - not Korean Airline food or hospital food. So let me go so I can stuff my face again. And stop complaining.

No comments: