Saturday, November 06, 2010

Fermenting and Stewing

I've had my camera forever now but I've never learned to use the auto timer. I don't read manuals, ok? Well, this week I've learned to capture my boredom. Hmmmm.
When I'm depressed, I eat and cook. When I'm bored, I eat and cook. Or maybe not cook, but ferment. Yup. Kimchi, my favorite condiment. I make them myself because I find the ones at the store too sweet for me.
The trick to a good kimchi is in the brining, when the cells are broken down to where it can absorb all the flavor of the seasoning.
Grind the seasoning paste. Garlic,ginger, chili powder, fermented shrimp fry, bonito flakes, sugar, salt.
Stuff the cabbage then let it ferment in the refrigerator or in this vat for 3-7 days then cut it up, put in a jar and it's ready to eat. Unless it's pickled or fermented, I can't be bothered with veggies.I bought this vat, a long time ago, because I was being anal. (trying to be authentic, looking that is)
The other day, I watched a video titled Lemons- it's about a Palestinian widow left to take care of a lemon grove all by herself. Her house was filled with pickled lemons. I've seen them sold at the Mediterranean market, so I thought I'd do them myself.This will last months and comes handy when you need it for some chicken or fish stews.

No comments: