Thursday, March 20, 2014

When I first came to America I bought jewelries not as an investment but for looks. And I had a husband who indulged me in buying them; and he didn't buy junk either. As I got older and wiser, I realized I didn't really like them on my body---I only liked them to show off, to make me feel I have value and to make my friends think "I got it made."

Then I met Jesus. I started to feel confident enough about myself; realizing I have value worth way more than silver or gold. The blood of bulls and goats or lamb didn't redeem me--the blood of Jesus did. I slowly shed  them off of my body and stored them. And I'm not bragging, I had lots to store. And because Chat is unique, in that she didn't and still don't care about "real" expensive jewelries but love expensive designer bags instead, I started to get philosophical in the logic of storing them. As my late husband used to tell me when he didn't see me wearing them: "I didn't buy them to be stored, if that was my intention, I would have just left them at the store." So I began to clean out my collection from the low end gold and traded them up for one with a higher gold content. My collection were now investment quality. The ones with stone(s) settings on them, I kept as is because stones has to be set in either 14k or 18k for strength.

Then 3 years ago, I converted them into land, which is now my farm. But I still got a few left and I know that if I leave them with Chat, it will end up in the forgotten pile. Then Kalya comes into the picture and the whole scene changes; everything now has meaning, a purpose and a hope....which her name pretty much mean---Redemption. But, I still don't want to leave the whole collection to Chat to give to Kalya later.  The solution came to me last night: I will pick one for every birthday of Kalya and with it will will be a story how the particular piece of jewelry came. This will give her a glimpse of her late grandpa, Don. Then I will put the piece in a box for her to open when she turns 7. She will  then have 7 pieces and 7 stories. Why 7? because 7 is a number of completion, a year of jubilee and Redemption! Her grandpa Don would be proud how I learned and remembers the biblical significance of the numbers. And if internet still exists 7 years from now, Kalya will read this too. Mazel Tov Kalya!

No comments: