Sunday, March 18, 2012

I'm drowning

"I was farther out than you thought/and not waving but drowning" Stevie Smith

Someone once told me that total freedom is "financial freedom". I agree. But then again, who wants to have total freedom? That would be too boring. You'd want at times to walk over land mines or cross the line and see if it's a welcome banner or guns that awaits you on the other side of the fence. Or, see what Broke Ass Mountain hut really looks like.... because that's what makes life more interesting. But just be careful that you don't suck the oxygen out of "interesting."

And I think I have. I am way overbudget on my hut construction in the mountain and it's starting to....not feel interesting. An acquaintance asked me at church today why I would want to live in the mountain in an island with less than a hundred thousand people. "Would you not miss the sound and the smell of the city?" I told her that I have to use my mountain eyes, that I can't use my city eyes in the mountain if I am to engage the experience at all. She nodded her head in a calculated nod, like, yeah. right.

Anyway, this decision to build something in the mountain was done like a knee-jerk reaction; I have a land there, therefore I should build. So now, I have to see it through. With my mountain eyes, I guess.
I am glad to be able to give jobs to these people temporarily, though I may have to skip meals myself to afford finishing it. Here are some of the worker's kids who came to join their father for lunch.














































2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What food are the children eating? It looks like a rice product, but the yellow color is unique.

vagabond said...

It's yellow corn. I guess this is what you call Polenta in the US. I really like it, it's very filling.
It's what they can afford so very seldom that they get to eat rice.