Friday, July 12, 2024

I Pity the Poor

 I owe it to the few people who reads my blog and I apologize that I left this blog for several years. I don't know why I quit, I don't know what made me quit. I won't even try to recall or repeat the same excuse--well, I forgot what my excuse was. I quit reading and I quit writing. Until 2 weeks ago.

I was scrolling around You Tube and I found an old documentary of Bernard Madoff. Remember the guy in his late 60's with hair and a belly just the size of a sugar baby watermelon who ran off with rich peoples money totaling $50 billion? Yes, not a typo. Billion.  But then again, this happens every day it just doesn't make it to breaking news. 
Anyway, it led me to see the book written by his daughter in-law Stephanie, titled The End of Normal. For how many years of not writing is also the number of years I haven't picked up a book to read, so it was a drag at first having to retrain myself to get focused in the story and be engaged in it. Then I was finally in it.

Then I bought the second book Truth and Consequences, this time as told by Bernie's wife Ruth and their son Andrew. It's a well written book about family and betrayal. And lots of money. But there's more that Ruth doesn't know about or don't want to know about--the mistress. Of course, with all that money and no mistress? Now I'm waiting for another book, this time written by the mistress--Madoff's Other Secret: Love, Money, Bernie and Me. 

Don't worry, after this book I'm going to read something else that would give the impression that I'm an intellectual and cultured. Whatever that means.

No comments: